Written by Yvonne Woloszanskyj
Originally published on Mindful Parenting Skills
we are born with. They are like “spiritual muscles” which we are here in this world to develop. We develop them throughout life as we are guided and inspired by our parents, grandparents, teachers, friends and many others. There are also many times we don’t believe very much in ourselves, the thoughts in our minds are not positive and encouraging.
We hear, “I can’t, it’s too hard, I don’t know how,” and so on, and so on. Sadly, these thoughts often win out if and when we don’t have an inner fire to keep moving forward no matter what…. a desire to be successful. If we are blessed, we have other people who may help light that fire within us. When this happens, the tools/virtues that can be called upon are perseverance, determination and commitment.
These are the qualities that make us “stick with it” and keep going when:
- we want something really badly
- we think/believe we can’t
- something is hard to do
- we need to show ourselves and others that we can
Perseverance: is being persistent. It is sticking with something, no matter how long it takes or what might show up to stop you. Sometimes it can be our friends, parents or others that may not have the same dreams and goals that you do. When you make up your mind, you follow through doing whatever it takes to get there.
* What other qualities or support might help you to persevere when things get tough?
Determination: focusing your energy on something you are doing or learning and sticking with it until it is learned or finished. It is using your inner drive to do something especially when it isn’t easy or maybe, fun. It means even when something is really hard, you keep going because you want to succeed.
* Think about what helps you to focus your energy and stick with a task, even when you might not want to do it?
Commitment: is about keeping your promises and agreements, to yourself and others. No matter how tough something may get, you stick with it. You finish what you started out to learn, master or accomplish. You see this a lot in the members of a sports team or in athletes. They give a 100%, holding nothing back. They keep going no matter what.
* Do you have the self-discipline to do what you know you need to do and say you will do? Do you take our commitments seriously?
When we use or call on perseverance, determination and commitment anything is possible.
Yvonne loves actively nurturing mindfulness in children and her students in various ways. She is an elementary teacher, Virtues Project Facilitator, Kids Coaching Connection Coach and NLP Coach and Practioner. She has been a camp counsellor and program director for residential camps. She is passionate about nurturing authentic, mindful kids who care, communicate and contribute to their world with courtesy, compassion and love. She believes that more than ever before we have a sacred responsibility in our homes, our school, our communities and our places of worship to nurture each child as a precious gift entrusted to us. For our world to change they need to learn about the virtues within them and how to develop them. Such things as courtesy, compassion, respectfulness, cooperation, responsibility, caring, consideration, accountability, helpfulness, enthusiasm, initiative, unity, tolerance, acceptance and more. Visit her at Mindful Parenting Skills and www.raisingmindfulkids.com
Get the full collection today for only $49.97 and get access to eBooks, audio courses, virtual yoga classes and much more.
Click here for more information.
- Positive Parenting in Action. Rebecca Eanes and Laura Ling
- Setting Limits With Young Children. Patty Wipfler
- The ABCs of Conscious Parenting. Lori Petro (eBook plus audio download)
- Raising Mindful Kids. Yvonne Woloszanskyj
- Parenting Softly. Bryan Post A Survival Guide.
- Positive Parenting for Children with ASD. Stella Waterhouse
- Keep Your Cool – How to Stop Yelling, Spanking and Punishing: What to Do Instead. Flo Gascon
The Mindful Guidance mini is on sale for only $19.97, a great deal for a set of products worth over $148. Click here for more info
(and look at that really cute picture of my daughter and husband!)