At the start of January, I shared with my likeronies that I only had one resolution this year: to find balance and cultivate joy (well, maybe that's two).
Even though I have successfully fought off depression in early 2013 (heck, I even wrote a book about it), some bad things that had formed through this lengthy period of dark thought had lingered, like the screaming and anger and general malaise in my family. So a continued search for balance and ways to let the joy in were only a natural prolongation of the path I was already on last year.
I decided to share a daily tip towards that progress with my Facebook peeps, and wouldn't want to waste those for people who're not on there.
Without Further ado, here they are: 31 Tips to find Balance and Cultivate Joy in 2014
- Laugh together Every. Single. Day.
- Practice mindful breathing: take a couple of deep, conscious breaths every day, focussing on the sensations in your body and feeling your stress dissipate
- Take naps when possible
- Show your appreciation. Telling people that they look nice, that the food is nice, that the moment is lovely shares the joy
- Practice yoga. Even if you only have time for a small series or two poses, do it. Include your kids, they'll love it!
- Spend time doing something you love without guilt, do it every day
- Let go of the small stuff. Ask yourself if it's really worth the energy
- Be silly for no reason
- Meditate every day. Even if you only have a couple of minutes, it's enough. Make a habit out of it. Set an anchor time each day.
- Take time to enjoy your food
- Ignore people who make you feel bad, invest in people who make you feel good
- Take time to prepare delicious food with beautiful ingredients
- Spend some extra love and attention on special occasions with your loved ones
- Be creative
- Be grateful, even for the small things. Being grateful for what you have and not taking anything for granted is a sure path towards joy
- Go outside every day
- It's ok to do NOTHING every once in a while
- Let go of the past, there is really no use in mulling and fretting over what has been... even if it's hard to let go
- Step out of your comfort zone, make it a habit
- Spend more time in the now, drown the mental chatter by really being present
- Know the difference between hopes and expectations, let go of the latter
- Hug and kiss the ones you love as much as possible
- Love yourself, just the way you are
- Joy is a choice and it's yours to make
- Turn off the screens and spend time with the ones you love
- Think positive. Stop negative thought before it gets a hold of you
- Only speak intentionally
- Always choose love
- Practice smiling all day long
- Listen deeply
Image: Rain of Happiness