If you're lucky enough to still have some fresh, edible flowers growing somewhere, this is a really easy gift that will surely stun its recipient. We made it in about 15 minutes and the kids helped all the way.
I made mine with Hibiscus, because that's what grows in my garden, but you can easily make it with any type of edible flower.
So what would you use this for? It's a really nice garnish for cookies and cupcakes and it's also really cool to rim off cocktail glasses.
You will need:
- a handful edible flowers
- two cups sugar
- a mixing bowl
- spoon or fork for stirring
- a knife for cutting the flowers
- a decorative recipient for the finished product
Make sure you use freshly picked, unsprayed flowers (preferably in the early morning) and prepare them immediately, or else they will wilt. Take only the leaves, discard the other parts of the flower.
Cut the petals really really fine, we want to end up with small particulates, about twice the size of a grain of sugar.
Mix the sugar and the flower petals together. Fill your recipient. Done!!
If you're making some of this, why not come show off your work in our Facebook group "Focus on Authentic Parenting"
- Keeping Gifts Simple - JW at True Confessions of a Real Mommy shares a few simple ways to limit gift giving and keep your holiday about the thought over the thing..
- The Mindful Holiday Giving Guide - How many times have you carefully chosen a present for someone and find you missed the mark? Zoie at TouchstoneZ identifies key ways to give mindful holiday gifts that will be truly appreciated.
- Giving Gifts that Keep Giving - At Living Peacefully with Children, Mandy shares ideas to help gift givers think outside the (gift) box with gifts that keep on giving.
- Greening the Giving Spirit - Momma Giraffe at Little Green Giraffe writes more eco-friendly Christmas wish-list for her family this year - passing on plastic and gift wrap and saying yes to memories, moments and experience.
- No Toys? : Giving Our Children Gifts that Make Memories - This year, Jacquie at My Blessings Homeschool and her husband decided to do things a little differently with gifts that will make lasting memories instead of the toys that will be lost, broken or forgotten.
- Quick and Easy DIY Gift: Flower Petal Sugar - At Authentic Parenting, Laura whips up a quick and easy last minute gift.