Throughout the years, I've dreaded celebrations. They were never 'the same' as they were before we became expats.
I didn't have big birthday banners, elaborate christmas ornaments, utensils to make five different desserts...
When holidays or birthdays came closer, I'd get sad, frustrated. I felt like I was lacking as a parent, as a homemaker... I just felt like I couldn't get if, or in the right mood.
But I've come to realize that you don't need stuff, or elaborateness for celebrating. You need togetherness and spirit, and you just have those, for free, anywhere.
There's just as much enjoyment in a christmas tree that you've pieced together from a dead branch, candy and earrings.
The pressure we have on perfection and that eager need of stuff, it's only superficial, brought to us by commercials. It's not that which makes the magic.
Have you moved to a simpler way of celebrating? Tell me about it!
- Parties - sustainablemum explains how and why she keeps her birthday celebrations for her eldest a simple affair at his behest.
- Simple Birthday Celebrations - Birthdays are kept simple at Living Peacefully with Children. Mandy shares how her family celebrates birthdays without the stress and expense.
- Countdown to a Simple Christmas - Start now to prepare your house and home for the holidays. Steps to take each month to enjoy a much simpler approach to Christmas.
- Simply Celebrate - Jorje has tried celebrating kid birthdays BIG and small... which one do you think was more simple? less stressful?
- That's a Wrap - At Parentwin, Darlena describes her experiences with wrapping gifts and how she has changed her ideals when it comes to gift giving.
- Simple Celebrations - Laura at Authentic parenting shares how her family keeps celebrations simple.