Welcome to the August edition of Authentic Parenting Blog Carnival: Breastfeeding.
This post was written for inclusion in the monthly Authentic Parenting Blog Carnival hosted by The Positive Parenting Connection and Authentic Parenting. As August is Breastfeeding awareness month, our participants are writing about this exact subject! Please read to the end to find a list of links to the other carnival participants.
Guess what, I have become one of those moms and with my daughter now 4 years and 2 months old, we are still nursing. I nursed through pregnancy and continued tandem nursing both my kids after giving birth to our Little Buddha.
Pretty quickly - about when she got over a year - we got silly remarks on breastfeeding from family, friends and even complete strangers. One of the silliest ones, and probably the one we heard the most was: "She'll never stop nursing".
So here's our little story to the day, just to show you that yes, kids do wean on their own, and no, I'm not going to be nursing her the day she leaves for college...
|Nursing both kids in the early weeks|
It's become so rare that I find myself asking her if she doesn't want to nurse anymore, from time to time. This while I was actively discouraging her in the months after Buddha's birth! Now, she nurses maybe once a week, if she accidentally lands next to my bare breasts. And soon, the last time we nursed may be the actual last time.
I will probably miss nursing my child once she is done, but I won't have been hard, as it just came when it had to come.
Child led weaning does work. It is a gentle process where both parties get to decide without artificial boundaries or age marks. It is a process where the tight, almost fusional bond between mother and child doesn't get hacked through, but gradually becomes looser.
Visit The Positive Parenting Connection and Authentic Parenting to find out how you can participate in the next Authentic Parenting Blog Carnival! Please take time to read the submissions by the other carnival participants:
- Parenting Myth Busted: They Never Stop Breastfeeding - Laura at Authentic Parenting shares how her 4 year old effectively weans herself.
- 7 Tips for Breastfeeding In Public Stress Free - From baby wearing to using a scarf, Ariadne of Positive Parenting Connection is sharing many helpful tips on how to breastfeed in public stress free.
- Breastfeeding has been Downhill - Jorje of Momma Jorje compares her nursing experiences and finds... it hasn't gotten easier with time and experience.
- A Heartfelt Tip for the Nursing Mamas - Margaux from Young Nesters gives her biggest piece of advice for all present and future breastfeeding Mamas.
- Breastfeeding Carnival - Billy at My Pathway To Motherhood writes about the past, present and future of nursing her daughter.
- Amy W. at Me, Mothering and Making it All Work describes why she loves to advocate for and help nurture breastfeeding relationships.
- To My Nursling - Stone Age Parent dedicates a breastfeeding poem to her child.
- My 3 ½ Year Old Breastfeeds As Much As A Newborn – And That Is Fine By Me - Jennifer at Hybrid Rasta Mama
- Authentic Parenting Blog Carnival of Breastfeeding: Our Sorta Sudden Gentle Weaning - Wolfmother Chronicles
- How to breastfeed while babywearing in a men tai - Lauren at Hobo Mama offers a video tutorial for easy, hands-free nursing on the go in a mei tai (Asian-style) baby carrier.
- My Boobs? Mighty Frickin' Spectacular, Thank You Very Much. - Rhianna from The Other Baby Book shares a post crediting breastfeeding with nurturing a connection not only with her son, but also with her breasts and her body's empowering ability to do its thing.