Article first published as Book Review: Nursies When The Sun Shines by Catharine Havener on Blogcritics. I received a copy of this book for review purposes.
Katherine Havener struggled with these same questions and noticed there was not much out there to help her and her baby cope with this difficult period, so she decided to write the book herself: “Nursies When the Sun Shines”. A soft and gentle bedtime story, preparing the young child for a different nighttime arrangement.
The story depicts a bedsharing family with a young child. The drawings - delicate watercolors by Sara Burrier - set the mood of a sweet tale about a truly connected family and will bring a smile of recognition to the face of any bedsharing family.
The book tells the child that there will be no more nursing at night (“nursies” go to sleep), but that mommy is still there, and the connection remains. It uses simple language to present the topic.
“I’ll hold you and love you while you drift back to sleep.
You’ll have nursies when the sun shines.”
Children’s books about attached families are rare and this one is a real gem. The rhytmic story is low in text, so it will appeal to the very young, but even the toddler will find pleasure in seeing the images of a family that sleeps in the same connected fashion they do.
Having a children’s book on night weaning is truly a great idea, and will help many a family struggling with the question. I can only applaud the initiative.
“Baby goes to sleep.
Mommy goes to sleep.
Nursies go to sleep... sleep nursies, sleep.”
About the author:
Katherine Havener is a natural and attachment parenting advocate, attorney, and mother to three girls (7, 5 and 8 mo). She is a retired Holistic Moms Network leader and an active member of La Leche League. Her inspiration for Nursies was her daughter Elea, who, for the first 22 months of her life, woke up every two hours to nurse. This is her first children's book.
You can find information about the book by visiting the website www.nursiesbook.com. Or buy it through my Amazon store.
Or you could win it!
This Giveaway is open to UK, Canada, US and Australia, postage included, and will be closed on the 15th of Oktober
My family will not be able to enter, nor will I (sadly, because I could use a teething necklace for when baby comes)
For your initial entry, tell us about your breastfeeding journey and why you would like a copy of the book. Leave your email address with the comment!
You can have additional entries to increase your chances by:
- Like Nursies on Facebook - Comment: Liked Nursies on FB, first name, email
- Follow Katherine on Twitter - Comment: Follow Naturalparent on Twitter
- Becoming a new fan of Authentic Parenting on facebook - Comment: fanned you on FB in the comment box, plus first name and email
- Become a new follower - Comment: became a new follower, first name and email
- Become a new follower on Twitter - Comment: follow you on Twitter, first name, email
- Suggest my fanpage to some friends - Comment: suggested to friends, first name, email
- Share this giveaway or any other post on you facebook page - Comment: I shared *enter post title* on facebook, 1 entry for each post you shared
- Blog about this giveaway or this blog (or both) - Comment: blogged about *enter topic*, link to your post, first name, email address, 1 entry per blog post
- Link to this or any post on this blog in a group or forum you attend - Comment: I linked to *this post* on *this forum/group*, name, email