A while back, I was contacted by Teresa Graham Brett to review her book Parenting for Social Change. Teresa is also the author of the website with the same name, which has long been on my link list (below). Being a big fan of her work, I was exited to receive the book.
As my motto is: "Change the world, one parent at a time", this could only be a good match for me and this blog.
The book's starting point is that we live in a society based on power and control relations, and that control and coercion are integrated in our culture's view of child rearing (the word speaks for itself). As mankind does not like to be controlled, this leads to power struggles and 'rebellion'.
If we were to relieve the parent-child relationship from this structural control, not only would we create a healthier relationship, but we'd also be nourishing a better future for the world at large.
The book read like a train, interlacing research with theory with real examples from Teresa's life with her children. It urges us to question our beliefs about children and our relationship with them and to dig deep in our past to unravel our reactions.
This is the first time I read a book about living with children that I wholeheartedly agree with.
This is truly a must read book. It is revealing, intelligent and it urges you to rethink control.
As a little side note: I love how she talks about 'the children who share my life' instead of her children. At page one, she pushes our nose onto the cultural belief of ownership we have about children.
I am very pleased that Teresa offered one of her books for a giveaway.
This Giveaway is open Worldwide and will be closed on July 10
My family will not be able to enter, nor will I
For your initial entry, visit Parenting for Social Change and tell me which article spoke to you and why. Make sure you leave your name and email address with each entry, or the comment will not be counted.
You can have additional entries to increase your chances by:
- Become a new follower of Teresa on Twitter - comment: follow Teresa on Twitter, name, email
- Like Parenting for Social Change on Facebook - comment: liked PFSC on FB, name, email
- Becoming a new fan of Authentic Parenting on facebook - Comment: fanned you on FB in the comment box, plus first name and email
- Become a new follower - Comment: became a new follower, first name and email
- Become a new follower on Twitter - Comment: follow you on Twitter, first name, email
- Suggest my fanpage to some friends - Comment: suggested to friends, first name, email
- Share this giveaway or any other post on you facebook page - Comment: I shared *enter post title* on facebook, 1 entry for each post you shared
- Blog about this giveaway or this blog (or both) - Comment: blogged about *enter topic*, link to your post, first name, email address, 1 entry per blog post
- Link to this or any post on this blog in a group or forum you attend - Comment: I linked to *this post* on *this forum/group*, name, email