What does a child really need to thrive and grow up a happy, confident human being? Little more is needed than a few basics to create a nurturing environment. Bare in mind, I am not talking about primal needs such as food and shelter here, I am looking for the key parenting concepts every child should grow up with, in order to reach full potention/become a stable, independent, self-assured human being.
What are these key elements? I have wondered about this and came to these six: Trust, respect, safety, security, unconditional love and freedom. It all comes down to this parenting pattern:
- Create a safe environment
- Make sure they feel secure
- Allow them the freedom to make choices
- Trust them to make the right choices
- Respect them enough to make their mistakes
- Love them unconditionally to forgive their mistakes
I will write a series of articles examining these essentials, through which we will discover how to implement them, and what might be the hidden difficulties.
What are you parenting essentials? Anything missing?
Image: Skyseeker on Flickr