I have always believed, and still do, that being a stay at home parent actually saves your family some money. Let me explain why:
- You don't have to pay for daycare, which can chip off a huge expense of your budget
- You have the time to cook from scratch
- You can spend some more time doing the shopping and compare prices
- You don't need to buy truckloads of expensive toys, because you are the best toy your kid will ever have
- You can decide to home- or unschool, which saves you a lot of worres picking a school and a lot of money paying for it and related items
- You have the time to be as frugal as you like
- If you have green fingers, you might cultivate your own fruit and veg
- If you are crafty, you might be making your own clothes, or toys or...
- Staying at home doesn't mean you can't generate some amount of income, all bits help, right
- You don't have to buy loads of childrearing books, because you can just go online and do some research, or go to the library and lend a book
- You have the time to share your sorrow and worries with others IRL or online, so you won't need a shrink
Have you discovered other areas where you are actually saving money by staying at home? Let me know!